Whether it’s in the basement, garage, or ground floor, water intrusion through a concrete slab can result in a whole host of problems, ranging from generally uncomfortable living conditions to structural damages that can potentially be life-threatening to all occupants.
Fortunately, today, specialists for slab leak detection in Riverside offer various solutions to address the issue and prevent further damage. One of the most commonly used and highly effective methods is the so-called “slab sealing”.
How do you seal a leaking concrete slab?
Before we delve deeper into solutions, first, we must reiterate the importance of identifying the root cause of the issue. Whether it’s faulty construction, shifting soil, or rising groundwater, understanding what caused the leak in the first place will help you choose the best option for your unique situation. Otherwise, you’re risking all your efforts being just a temporary fix, at best.
There’s a vast variety of sealant solutions available on the market today. However, not each of them is a one-size-fits-all solution. Rather, their effectiveness depends on the severity of the leak and its root cause.
- Epoxy Injection is one of the most popular ways of sealing small to medium cracks in concrete. This method entails injecting a low-viscosity epoxy resin into the cracks, which then hardens, creating a waterproof barrier.
- Polyurethane Sealants are incredibly versatile and can be used for both concrete and masonry. Their biggest advantage lies in the flexibility of the material, which can accommodate the natural movement of the slab. This characteristic makes them a great choice for sealing dynamic cracks that may shift with changes in temperature or humidity.
- Urethane Foam Injection is one of the best ways of dealing with larger cracks and gaps. Once injected, the foam expands and fills the void, creating an airtight and waterproof seal. Also, urethane foam is suitable for both interior and exterior applications, making it one of the more versatile solutions on this list.
Surface protection solutions:
- Acrylic Sealants create a thin layer of protective film atop concrete, making them excellent for preventing surface water intrusion. However, they cannot fill deep cracks and gaps, which is why they’re mostly used as a preventative, rather than remediation measure.
- Cementitious Waterproofing involves applying a moisture-resistant membrane over the concrete surface. This type of coating is excellent as it isn’t reserved for slabs only. Rather, it can be applied to walls, floors, and ceilings. However, similarly to acrylic sealant, it is surface-only protection.
- Waterproofing Paints are yet another preventative solution that creates a surface barrier. Available in various formulations, such as latex and epoxy, they are a budget-friendly and versatile option suitable for both exterior and interior applications.
It is important to note that, while the aforementioned solutions can be effective, they are only one part of the equation. The other part, the one that ensures lasting results, will typically require professional intervention. The reason for this is that specialists have the training, experience, and equipment to:
- Conduct a thorough assessment;
- Identify the root cause of the problem;
- Fix the issue using the most effective method;
- Set measures in place to prevent the reoccurrence of the problem;
- Give you advice to help you avoid future issues.
Who are the leading professionals for slab leak detection near me in Riverside?
The Leak Detection Pros brings you the latest and greatest foundation leak detection and remediation solutions in the entire Riverside County. Our roster comprises trained and experienced professionals, each bonded and insured for your peace of mind.
Empowered by state-of-the-art tools that allow for pinpoint precision and non-invasive detection methods, our specialists bring unparalleled effectiveness to homeowners anywhere from La Sierra University to Reid Park. Reach out to us today and ensure a higher level of protection for your property!